From: gloomis(--nospam--at)MasterEngineersinc.com [mailto:gloomis(--nospam--at)MasterEngineersinc.com]
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2007 9:00 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Railings on Stairs - OSHA 1910.23 & the Florida Building Code

Please also note OSHA Section 1910.24(c) which defines the loading requirements for stairs – “uniform load of 5 times the normal live load or 1,000 lbs moving concentrated load”.

There was a question submitted for clarification which did not help.  It stated “the design must be based on their ultimate strength [yield stress (Fy) or ultimate stress (Fu)] and not on the allowable stresses as given in the Allowable Stress Design method of AISC, 9th edition”.

Gary W. Loomis, P.E., Senior Structural Engineering

Master Engineers and Designers, Inc.